Not only is this beet pesto pasta a beautiful color, but it’s absolutely indulging and delicious finished with black truffle goat cheese!
I LOVE when my food is bright and colorful. It puts me in such a good mood, and instantly makes me excited to eat. The first time I ever encountered beet pesto pasta was at Cento Pasta Bar in Downtown LA. I was on a food tour, and the chef closed down his bar for us and whipped up this delicious pasta finished with goat cheese and it was truly a magical moment. Up until this moment I thought I hated beets so I wasn’t particularly excited to be trying this dish, but one bite and I was hooked! Since then I have dreamed of this dish, and I finally got around to making it at home. Besides the vibrant pink color of this pasta, what’s not to love about this dish? I treated the beet pesto just like a regular pesto by adding basil, pine nuts, Stella® Parmesan cheese, and good olive oil. Beets can seem intimidating to work with, but they’re really not. Once you wash off the dirt and get them clean; they are quite easy to work with. For this recipe I used 3 small beets and cleaned them in the sink, then I trimmed off the ends, and boiled them for 1 hour just until they became tender.
Check out this recipe video to see how to make this Beet Pesto Pasta!
What takes this recipe over the top are the cheeses! I used two cheeses in this recipe. To make the pesto I used Stella® parmesan cheese. This being an Italian dish; I wanted to make sure I stayed authentic and used Italian cheeses. This Stella parmesan cheese is perfect as it’s nutty, slightly sweet, and salty. Perfect for a pesto. Stella has a wide range of cheese so if you’re ever inspired to make an Italian recipe check out their cheeses for sure! The second cheese I used was black truffle goat cheese. This in essence is what you need to finish the dish, and give it that next level GOODNESS! The tanginess of the goat cheese with the luxurious taste of black truffle is the perfect thing to complement this beet pesto pasta!
Do you have a great recipe idea using Stella® cheese like this one? Stella® is hosting the “Taste of Authenticity” Recipe Contest this holiday season running now through January 12th, 2018 where you can win up to $3,000! Submit your original recipes featuring Stella® cheeses for a chance to win!!
- 3 beets, washed
- 3 tsp. garlic, chopped
- ½ cup pine nuts
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- a handful of basil
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1tbsp heavy cream
- 2 oz black truffle goat cheese
- chives for garnish
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil and place the cleaned beets in for 30-40 minutes, or until tender. Fork should easily poke through the beets.
- While the beets are cooking, bring another pot of water to boil to cook the spaghetti.
- Once cooked, drained the beets and let them cool off. Peel the skin off, and chop the beets and place into a food processor.
- Add in the garlic, pine nuts, basil, parmesan cheese, and olive oil and blend until smooth.
- Once the spaghetti is cooked, heat up 1 tablespoon of butter in a saute pan. Add the pesto sauce and warm up for 1-2 minutes. Add in the heavy cream and goat cheese. Stir together until cheese is melted and incorporated with the sauce.
- Mix the beet pesto in with the drained noodles. Garnish with additional parmesan cheese, a dollop of goat cheese, and chives if desired.
- Serve immediately.