Creamy Cajun shrimp and grits, a classic Southern dish that’s been elevated with flavors of sweet smoky shrimp and cream Parmesan grits.
Creamy Cajun Shrimp and Grits
Creamy Cajun shrimp and grits, a classic Southern dish that's been elevated with flavors of sweet smoky shrimp and cream Parmesan grits.
For the Shrimp
- 1 -1½ pound Extra Large or Jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
- 4 slices of apple wood smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 shallots, minced
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- ½ tbsp smoked paprika
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Juice of ½ lemon
- olive oil
For the Grits
- 6 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1½ cups yellow cornmeal
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cups of Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, smoked paprika, Cajun seasoning, salt and black pepper with the shrimp. Toss and make sure the shrimp is coated evenly.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add some olive oil and bacon and fry just until the bacon starts to brown.
- Add the shallots and bell peppers and saute until the shallots become translucent and the bell peppers soften.
- Add the marinated shrimp along with any of the marinade to the pan. Cook the shrimp, tossing regularly until the shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the shrimp and garnish with parsley if desired.
- For the grits, combine the water, garlic, and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, and slowly add in the cornmeal, stirring constantly to prevent lumps and clumping. Simmer over very low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Turn off the heat, and stir in the Parmesan cheese and butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place the grits in a bowl and top with the shrimp and peppers.