This Fire Roasted Tomato Penne Pasta is a household favorite, and for me has also been quickly dubbed as the lazy man’s spaghetti.
I’ll explain… For me pasta is the meal I always go to whenever I need to get dinner made quickly. It’s stress free, straightforward, and it’s pretty hard to mess up a plate of spaghetti and meatballs. With my busy schedule during the week I realized I was eating spaghetti and meatballs a lot, and it led me to wonder; why wasn’t I making different versions of pasta? And so this Fire Roasted Tomato Penne Pasta was born. I wish I could tell you that the inspiration for this recipe was something magically beautiful, but to be honest it came straight out of throwing a bunch of random ingredients together and hoping for the best. The first time it came out great, but needed a few tweaks. After a few more times of me making it; I got the recipe down perfectly!
The stars of this tomato penne pasta are the olive oil, fire roasted tomatoes, lots of garlic, and lots of basil. This is how I get the pasta to absorb so much flavor because every ingredient that’s added is bursting with it’s own unique flavor. For the olive oil, I used Trader Joe’s Lemon and Olive Oil. I love the combination of the lemon in the olive oil, and it if you’re out of fresh lemons and need that lemon flavor, this is a great alternative It’s perfect in salad dressings and vinaigrettes too!
Okay back to the pasta….
I added some vegetables to this because I was trying to keep it healthy. Totally optional. You can leave them out, or swap them for the veggies of your choice. In this recipe I went with some sweet mini bell peppers and broccoli. They got sauteed in the lemon olive oil with the garlic, basil, some Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Add some Parmesan cheese, and you’ve got the perfect meal that’s ready in no time. Check out the recipe below!
- 1 pound of penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 15 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 mini sweet bell peppers, diced
- broccoli florets
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 5 teaspoons of basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese for topping.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add diced bell peppers to skillet, and saute for 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add in basil and garlic and continue to saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in diced tomatoes, followed by seasonings and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta and toss with sauce, making sure all the noodles are coated.
- Pour in lemon juice, add Parmesan cheese, and toss combining all together.
- Serve immediately!