Harissa Spiced Chicken, a one pot meal that’s both easy and delicious with North African spices and coconut milk. Super flavorful, and sure to be a hit with the whole family!
I love harissa, and ever since I was introduced to Entube’s Harissa paste I’ve been putting it in everything! Eggs, chili, spaghetti sauce…. the possibilities are endless! If you’re not familiar with harissa, it’s a North African hot chili pepper paste made with roasted red peppers, Baklouti pepper, serrano peppers and other hot chili peppers, spices, and herbs. You guys should know by now; I like to keep it spicy! 🙂
The creation of this harissa spiced chicken with coconut milk was totally an accident. For the past month my kitchen has been without gas leaving me to get pretty creative with the recipes that I develop. I decided to bring my crock pot out to make some chicken thighs and voila this easy recipe was born.
Harissa can be a bit spicy so to tone it down adding coconut milk was perfect! Both go so well together, giving you one of my favorite flavor combinations, heat and sweet. Not to mention this entire recipe is made in ONE POT so not only is it easy to cook, but clean up is a breeze too!
If you’re curious about what I paired the chicken with, Wild Garden Foods has an awesome rice and lentil pilaf that goes AMAZINGLY WELL with this harissa spiced chicken. It’s made with aged basmati rice, tender lentils, and caramelized onions and best part, it’s ready in 90 seconds! How’s that for a complete meal with little to no effort? Thank me later 😉
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup harissa paste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper on both sides and add to the hot oil, skin-side down first. Brown the chicken, about 2 minutes each side, or until golden brown. Remove from pan and place on a plate and set aside.
- Transfer the chicken to your crock pot.
- Next, add the onions, garlic, ginger, and bell peppers. Add the harissa, curry powder, coconut milk, and more salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-6 hours.
- Just before serving, preheat the broiler to high. Carefully remove the chicken from the sauce and place on a greased baking sheet. Place under the broiler for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until the chicken is crisp and golden.
- Serve with rice pilaf, pita, or any combination of your choice