This post is sponsored by the Crock-Pot® brand. All opinions are mine alone.
I’ve given a spicy kick to your traditional potato stuffing! The name of this dish, Caribbean Sweet Potato Stuffing, can be confusing because it actually looks like mashed potatoes rather than a stuffing, but that’s what it always been called. Also, there’s only one sweet potato and two white potatoes, but they make an excellent combination. I only use one sweet potato to keep it from being too sweet.
This dish is amazing because it’s an awesome combination of spicy and sweet. I also love it because the potatoes are nice and creamy, but there are also bell peppers and raisins in it. The reason it has that red color is because I added tomato paste to it.
I used the Crock-Pot® 3.5-Quart Casserole Slow Cooker for the sweet potato stuffing and served it right out of the dish! This casserole dish is perfect for serving because it’s so beautiful! No fuss in having to transfer the stuffing into another dish!
- 3lb of white sweet potatoes or (2 white potatoes, 1 sweet potato)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup of onion, minced
- 2 tbsp of celery, minced
- ½ cup of red and green bell peppers, minced
- 2tbsp of vegetable oil
- 3tbsp of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup of tomato paste
- 1 tsp of thyme
- ⅓ cup of raisins
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- ⅛ tsp of cinnamon (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Wash and dry the potatoes.
- Peel the potatoes using a paring knife.
- Roughly chop the potatoes into chunks and add them to a large pot of salted water.
- Bring the pot to the boil and cook the potato chunks until tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and use a potato masher to break down the potato chunks into a mash. Add the butter while mashing.
- Heat a medium saucepan on medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the bell peppers, celery and raisins once the oil has heated and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sugar, tomato paste, thyme, cinnamon, salt and black pepper to taste. The contents in the frying pan should take on a red hue.
- Continue to toss and rotate the pan for another minute before removing it from the stove.
- Pour the sauteed ingredients in with the mashed potatoes and use a folding technique to ensure that it is mixed well.
- Transfer the potato stuffing into your Crock-Pot® 3.5-Quart Casserole Slow Cooker.
- Set on high, and cook for 2 hours.
- Serve immediately.