Continuing with our trend of fast week night meals with BIG flavors; out of my kitchen comes this Spicy Chicken Noodle Stir Fry!
The inspiration for this dish comes straight out of my college years. I was a takeout and noodle junkie! In a way, I still am. I’ve just taken it upon myself do to less eating out and more cooking at home. The benefits of this are that I’ve spent quite a bit of time experimenting with what ingredients I like best in my stir fry. Stir fry’s are so simple, and you can pretty much use whatever you like. I used chicken in this recipe, but it also tastes just as good with shrimp or beef. Once you have your prep done, this healthy and spicy, veggie filled chicken noodle stir fry dish comes together fast! One of the best parts of this dish is the “spice”. It’s all in the sauce! For a long time I used to use the manufactured stir fry sauce that they sell in the Asian aisle in the supermarket. While it’s convenient; it just never really tasted good to me so I decided to come up with my own. I call this my secret stir fry sauce. Well up until today it’s been a secret, but now I’m sharing it with you all. 🙂
The sauce definitely packs some heat! I use sriracha and gochujang; both pretty spicy condiments. If you want to mellow out the spice; I’d leave out the sriracha and only use the gochujang. I like the depth of spice that the gochujang adds. You can find both of these condiments in the Asian aisle in the grocery store. If you can’t find the gochujang; you may have to visit an Asian market (like H mart, Assi, etc). I typically go to the Asian market anyway because that’s where I purchased the noodles for this recipe and the sesame oil and rice wine vinegar. Once you’ve got all the veggies, chicken, and noodles frying in the pan…. you just pour the sauce over and let everything warm up in the pan. Told you it doesn’t get any easier than this! Enjoy!
- 8 oz Chinese egg noodles or rice stick noodles
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow or white onion, sliced
- ½ cup of kimchi, roughly chopped
- 1 cup of cooked chicken thighs or breast, roughly chopped
- Prepare the noodles according to packet instructions. The packet I used required adding the noodles to boiling water for 6-8 min. Be careful not to overcook the noodles. Drain when ready.
- While the noodles are boiling, combine the sauce ingredients.
- Place your wok or large saute pan over high heat. Add the oil, and throw in the minced garlic and ground ginger.
- Once the oil is hot and the garlic has just begun to turn a golden color, add the onions, bell peppers, and kimchi and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the noodles, chicken, and sauce. Toss together gently, and allow the sauce to coat the noodles evenly and caramelize, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Want more recipes like this? Check out: